Monday, October 24, 2011

Long time no see

Yes, I know... it has been almost 2 months since I posted. And I think I need to explain what is going on. As you all know, A. and I moved to Brazil in July, bought a house, etc. As time goes by my life has becomes more ordinary (in terms of living, working, etc) while his seems to be a lot more interesting from an intercultural point of view. And then I stopped writing, not finding anything interesting to write about.

Sort of like heavy clouds with some rays of sun trying to break through.

As time went on I realized that there is some sort of (inverse? attached?) culture shock going on with me. It is the additional work and frustrations that come with having a partner suffering from classical culture shock. What seems so simple to me grows to huge, insurmountable problems for A. and I need to be there to help him climb the mountain. I searched online and there is not as much written about this since either couples are both foreigners wherever they are living or they meet after moving to each other's countries. There is also a lot of complaints and comments about what it feels like moving to a new place, but there is very little about seeing your own country through foreigners' eyes.

Let me tell you, it is not rosy. Not even pale pink. More like grey... on some days dark grey even. I am not trying to sweep away or even minimize all the issues and complications and frustrations A. has had to deal with, but for now I wish to write about the unsung complications of the culture shock spouse .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Samba, I am French and I "imported" my hubby in my country after meeting him in India. I can relate to what you are writing. Our biggest rows lately have been about my coutries administrations ! Sometimes I see looks and hear comments from my fellow countrymen that really embarass me.

    Also I wanted to tell you that my hubby found a job this week, after a wait of... 10 months ! He had found a job in july but the boss fired him after 3 days and didn't pay him. After that he went to India for a long holiday and I was really scared that he wouldn't come back, but he did, thank God for that ! :)

    I wish you both good luck.

    ReplyDelete